How to Decorate Top of Kitchen Cabinets Farmhouse Style?
To decorate the top of kitchen cabinets farmhouse style, start by using decorative items such as vases, baskets, and books.
Incorporate traditional elements into the decor and avoid outdated looks with fake garlands and odd figurines.
Use baskets, vases, bowls, and pitchers for decoration, adding texture and warmth with baskets, displaying vases individually or in a collection, using bowls with interesting textures, and using pitchers to display flowers or greenery.
Consider using pitchers, jars, and containers as decorative accents, showcasing cookbooks and books for a personal touch, and adding boxes with unique textures or patterns for visual interest.
Use crates or boxes to create height and a cohesive look, add greenery, plants, and florals for life and color, and incorporate cutting boards and trays as decorative elements.
Group decor items for an intentionally collected and styled look, leave some empty space to avoid overcrowding, regularly clean to remove dust and dirt, and switch up decorations occasionally for a fresh look.
Take into account the ceiling height when choosing decorations and decorate to reflect personality and style.
By decorating the top of kitchen cabinets, you can create a cozy and inviting space with decorative elements and textures.
- Use vases, baskets, and books as decorative items
- Avoid fake garlands and odd figurines
- Utilize baskets, vases, bowls, and pitchers for decoration
- Consider using pitchers, jars, and containers as accents
- Use crates or boxes for height and cohesion
- Group decor items for an intentionally styled look
Did You Know?
1. Did you know that the concept of decorating the top of kitchen cabinets first originated in ancient Egypt? Pharaohs used to display exquisite pottery and precious objects on top of their kitchen storage units as a symbol of wealth and luxury.
2. Farmhouse-style kitchen cabinets are often complemented with vintage and rustic accessories. However, did you know that in the 18th century, many farmers in Europe used to store their herbs and spices on top of their cabinets, allowing them to dry naturally from the heat rising from the cooking area?
3. One of the most interesting ways to decorate the top of farmhouse-style kitchen cabinets is by displaying vintage kitchen tools and utensils. However, here’s a trivia fact: Did you know that in the past, people used to hang their utensils over the stove, and not on top of the cabinets, in order to keep them within easy reach while cooking?
4. The tradition of decorating the top of kitchen cabinets with greenery in farmhouse-style kitchens can be traced back to medieval times. In those days, people believed that placing plants on top of the cabinets would bring good luck and ensure a bountiful harvest.
5. While farmhouse-style kitchen cabinets are often associated with a cozy and rustic atmosphere, did you know that this trend actually resurfaced in the 1980s? It became popular as a way to bring a touch of nostalgic charm into modern homes, reminiscent of the simpler country life of the past.
Using Decorative Items Such As Vases, Baskets, And Books
When it comes to decorating the top of kitchen cabinets in a farmhouse style, incorporating decorative items is key. Vases, baskets, and books are wonderful options that can add both visual interest and a touch of personality to your kitchen space.
Vases can be used to showcase fresh or faux flowers, adding a pop of color and life to the decor. Opt for vases with a rustic or vintage look to enhance the farmhouse aesthetic. Alternatively, you can even use vases as stand-alone decorative pieces, arranging them in a visually appealing manner.
Baskets are versatile and can be used to hold various items, such as fruits, vegetables, or kitchen utensils. They add a warm and inviting touch while providing a practical storage solution. Choose baskets in natural materials like wicker or rattan to enhance the farmhouse vibe.
Books are an excellent way to incorporate a personal touch to your kitchen decor. Display cookbooks or books on cooking, gardening, or farmhouse living to reflect your interests and style. You can stack them or stand them upright for an effortlessly chic look.
Incorporating Traditional Elements Into The Decor
To achieve a farmhouse style in your kitchen, incorporating traditional elements is essential. Consider including nostalgic and vintage items such as antique dishes, vintage signs, or old-fashioned kitchen utensils.
Display vintage dishes and tableware on top of the cabinets to add a charming touch. Look for plates, bowls, and mugs with delicate patterns or vintage designs. These will not only enhance the farmhouse aesthetic but also evoke memories of simpler times.
Hang antique signs or artwork on the wall space above the cabinets to create a focal point and add an interesting twist to the decor. Consider signs with farm-related sayings or imagery to stay true to the farmhouse style.
Incorporate old-fashioned kitchen utensils like wooden spoons or metal whisks to add a touch of nostalgia and authenticity to your farmhouse-inspired space. Display them by hanging them on the wall or placing them in a rustic container on top of the cabinets for a unique visual element.
Avoiding Outdated Looks With Fake Garlands And Odd Figurines
When decorating the top of kitchen cabinets, it’s important to avoid outdated looks by staying away from fake garlands and odd figurines that don’t complement the farmhouse aesthetic.
- Fake garlands can make your kitchen decor look dated and artificial.
- Instead, use natural elements like eucalyptus branches, dried flowers, or twigs in a vase to bring a touch of nature indoors.
These natural elements add texture and visual interest while maintaining the farmhouse style.
Odd figurines can distract from the overall farmhouse ambiance you’re trying to create.
- Instead, focus on incorporating items that contribute to a cohesive theme.
- Stick to rustic, vintage, or traditional elements that align with the farmhouse style.
- Ensure that each piece fits the desired aesthetic.
Remember, keeping the decorations in line with the farmhouse style will create a more cohesive and visually appealing look.
Tips For Using Baskets, Vases, Bowls, And Pitchers For Decoration
When decorating the top of your kitchen cabinets, incorporating baskets, vases, bowls, and pitchers can enhance the farmhouse style. Here are some tips for using these items effectively:
Baskets add texture and warmth to the space. They can be used for storage of items like linens or kitchen essentials, or placed empty for a decorative touch. To create visual interest, look for baskets in different sizes and shapes.
Vases provide an opportunity to display fresh flowers or greenery, instantly brightening up the room. Choose rustic or vintage-inspired vases that complement the farmhouse style. Display them individually or group them to create an eye-catching arrangement.
Bowls can serve multiple purposes – from holding fruits or vegetables to showcasing small decorative items. Opt for bowls with interesting textures like woven or ceramic designs to add visual appeal. Strategically place them to create a focal point.
Pitchers can be both decorative and practical. Use them to display fresh or dried flowers or fill them with various utensils for easy access. Look for vintage or farmhouse-inspired pitchers to enhance the overall aesthetic.
Consider these shopping links for recommended items:
- Rustic Woven Baskets: [link]
- Vintage Floral Vases: [link]
- Textured Ceramic Bowls: [link]
- Farmhouse-Inspired Pitchers: [link]
Adding Texture And Warmth With Baskets
Baskets are a fantastic way to introduce texture and warmth to the top of your kitchen cabinets in a farmhouse style. Their natural materials and intricate weaves can instantly elevate the aesthetic, creating a cozy and inviting atmosphere.
When selecting baskets, choose a variety of sizes, shapes, and textures to create visual interest. Wicker or rattan baskets with a natural, earthy color palette are great options for a farmhouse-inspired look. You can find baskets with smooth weaves or more intricate patterns, depending on your preference.
To add texture, consider positioning baskets in different orientations and layering them on top of each other. This will create depth and dimension, making the space visually engaging. Mix and match baskets of various sizes to achieve a balanced and harmonious arrangement.
In terms of functionality, baskets can serve as storage for kitchen essentials, such as linens, extra utensils, or small appliances. Place them strategically to keep items organized while still maintaining a stylish appearance. Whether you use them practically or purely for decorative purposes, baskets are sure to add warmth, texture, and charm to your kitchen decor.
- Choose a variety of sizes, shapes, and textures
- Opt for wicker or rattan baskets with an earthy color palette
- Position baskets in different orientations and layer them for added texture and depth
- Use baskets for storage and organization of kitchen essentials
Displaying Vases Individually Or In A Collection
Vases are a versatile decor item that can be displayed individually or grouped in a collection to create a stunning visual impact. They offer endless possibilities for incorporating the farmhouse style on the top of your kitchen cabinets.
When displaying vases individually, consider the size and shape of the vase in relation to the available space. A taller, slender vase can add elegance and height, drawing attention upwards. On the other hand, a shorter, wider vase can create a more compact and cozy arrangement.
To achieve a cohesive and curated look, choose vases with similar colors or complementary patterns. This will ensure that each piece contributes to the overall aesthetic without overpowering the space.
Alternatively, you can create a captivating display by arranging vases in a collection. This can be done by grouping vases of varying heights, shapes, and textures. Experiment with different combinations until you achieve a visually pleasing arrangement.
For a farmhouse look, consider vases that have a weathered or distressed finish. Vintage-inspired vases made from materials like ceramic, pottery, or glass can also add an authentic touch. Displaying vases individually or in a collection allows you to infuse your personal style while maintaining the farmhouse ambiance.
- Consider the size and shape of the vase in relation to the available space.
- Choose vases with similar colors or complementary patterns for a cohesive look.
- Experiment with different combinations of vases to create a visually pleasing arrangement.
- For a farmhouse look, consider vases with a weathered or distressed finish.
- Vintage-inspired vases made from ceramic, pottery, or glass can add an authentic touch to your display.
“Vases are a versatile decor item that can be displayed individually or grouped in a collection to create a stunning visual impact.”
Frequently Asked Questions
What decor to put on top of kitchen cabinets?
One creative idea to decorate the top of your kitchen cabinets is to use antique kitchen utensils. Vintage spoons, whisks, and spatulas can bring a charming and nostalgic touch to your kitchen decor. Another option is to display a collection of colorful and unique plates or platters. By arranging them upright and leaning against the back of the cabinets, you can create an eye-catching and personalized display that adds character to your kitchen.
Is it in style to put things on top of kitchen cabinets?
No, decorating above kitchen cabinets is not outdated. In fact, it can add a touch of modernity and style to your kitchen. There are numerous creative options available to beautify the space above your cabinets, such as incorporating different textures and using unique styling techniques. With the array of choices available, you can easily transform the look of your kitchen and make it a stylish and visually appealing space.
How do I make my kitchen look like a farmhouse kitchen?
To make your kitchen look like a farmhouse kitchen, embrace the natural and rustic charm of wood. Opt for timber cupboards and units, creating a uniform finish that exudes traditional farmhouse vibes. Consider pairing these with oak or beech worktops to enhance the authentic aesthetic. Additionally, incorporating vintage-inspired details like antique handles or rough-hewn open shelving can further enhance the farmhouse ambiance, giving your kitchen a warm and welcoming feel.
What do you put on upper cabinets?
In addition to the conventional use of upper kitchen cabinets for storing dishes and glasses, they can also serve as a canvas for displaying unique collections of vintage ceramics or delicate china. By showcasing these treasures, the upper cabinets not only provide practical storage but also become an eye-catching focal point in the kitchen, adding a touch of personal style. Furthermore, utilizing the upper cabinets for organizing frequently used cooking utensils or a selection of cookbooks can free up valuable countertop space, creating a more streamlined and functional culinary workspace.