How to Microwave Bacon Crispy?
To microwave bacon crispy, I recommend using microwave-safe glassware with a lid, such as Anyday bowls.
Line the bowl with bacon slices, secure the lid with the vent open, and microwave for 4 minutes.
Check the bacon and continue cooking in 30-second intervals until desired doneness is reached.
Thin bacon works best and the cooking time varies depending on the wattage of the microwave.
Season the bacon with cayenne pepper or smoked paprika before microwaving for added flavor.
Leftover bacon can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days and reheated in the microwave covered with a paper towel.
- Use microwave-safe glassware with a lid for crispy bacon, like Anyday bowls
- Line the bowl with bacon slices, leave the vent open, and microwave for 4 minutes
- Check bacon and continue cooking in 30-second intervals until desired doneness
- Thin bacon works best, cooking time varies based on microwave wattage
- Season bacon with cayenne pepper or smoked paprika for added flavor
- Store leftover bacon in the fridge for up to 4 days, reheat covered with a paper towel in the microwave
Did You Know?
1. Contrary to popular belief, microwaving bacon actually makes it crispier than frying it on the stovetop. The secret lies in using a microwave-safe bacon tray that allows the excess grease to drain, resulting in a crispy texture.
2. The concept of microwaving bacon was accidentally discovered by Percy Spencer, an engineer working on magnetrons for radar technology during World War II. While conducting experiments, he noticed the candy bar in his pocket had melted due to the radar waves, leading to the development of the microwave oven.
3. To achieve the perfect crispy bacon in the microwave, it is recommended to use paper towels to absorb any excess grease and prevent a soggy mess. The paper towels will absorb the moisture, resulting in a deliciously crispy texture without compromising the flavor.
4. A little-known fact about microwaving bacon is that it actually reduces the total cooking time. Compared to frying in a pan, microwaving bacon can save up to 50% of the cooking time, making it a convenient and time-saving method.
5. Microwaving bacon is not just a modern kitchen hack; it has been around since the 1950s. The first commercially available microwave oven, called the “Radarange,” was introduced in 1947 and gave people the ability to microwave their bacon to crispy perfection.
The Benefits Of Microwaving Bacon
Microwaving has become a go-to cooking method for many households due to its convenience and efficiency. Not only is it safe and quick, but it also avoids the hassle of heating up the kitchen with a traditional stovetop or oven. When it comes to cooking bacon, microwaving offers additional advantages by providing a mess-free way to crisp up bacon without the notorious grease splatters on the stovetop.
Traditionally, many people have resorted to using a plastic plate and layers of paper towels to microwave bacon. However, this method is both wasteful and unhealthy. The excessive use of paper towels not only contributes to unnecessary waste but also absorbs some of the delicious bacon grease, robbing you of the full bacon experience.
Introducing Anyday Bowls: The Ultimate Microwave Bacon Solution
To address these concerns and provide a superior cooking experience, microwaveable glassware like Anyday bowls have emerged as a game-changer. These sturdy and effective bowls are made of heat-resistant borosilicate glass, ensuring the safety and durability of your cookware. Additionally, the lids feature platinum-grade silicone rims, creating an airtight seal that prevents splatters and preserves the natural flavors of your bacon.
Some key features of Anyday dishes include:
Unlike traditional plastic plates, the stainless metal on the edge of the lid is designed for microwave compatibility, making them a perfect fit for your bacon-cooking needs.
“Anyday dishes offer a superior cooking experience with their heat-resistant borosilicate glass and airtight lids, preserving the natural flavors of your bacon.”
Cooking Times And Tips For Perfectly Crispy Microwave Bacon
The cooking time for microwave bacon may vary depending on factors such as the wattage of your microwave, thickness of the bacon slices, and the number of slices being cooked. On average, it takes about 60 to 90 seconds per slice of bacon to achieve that perfect crispy texture.
Thin bacon slices tend to crisp up better than thick-cut ones, so it’s worth considering when selecting your bacon. For a 1000-watt microwave, cooking four slices of bacon typically takes about 4 minutes and 30 seconds. However, it’s crucial to remember that these times are merely estimates as every microwave behaves differently.
To ensure your bacon reaches your desired level of doneness, it is recommended to set a shorter cooking time and continue cooking in 30-second intervals until perfection is achieved.
- Consider the thickness of bacon slices when selecting
- Set a shorter cooking time and adjust in 30-second intervals
- Thin bacon slices crisp up better than thick-cut
“Every microwave behaves differently.”
The Hassle-Free Process: Steps To Microwaving Bacon
Using Anyday bowls or any microwave-safe glass container, you can easily microwave bacon to perfection.
Here are the steps to follow:
- Line the microwave-safe glass container with bacon slices, ensuring they do not overlap.
- Secure the lid on the container, ensuring it is properly closed.
- Vent the lid by pulling up the center knob to release any excess steam.
- Place the container in the microwave and set the cooking time according to the guidelines provided earlier.
- Once the initial cooking time is complete, check the bacon for desired doneness. If necessary, continue cooking in 30-second intervals until perfection is achieved.
Seasoning And Storage Tips For Microwaved Bacon
Microwaved bacon can be enhanced with additional flavors by seasoning it before cooking. Consider adding spices like cayenne pepper or smoked paprika to give your bacon a delicious kick. The heat from the microwave will intensify the flavor of these seasonings, resulting in a delightful twist to your crispy treat.
If you have leftover bacon, it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To reheat, simply cover the bacon slices with a paper towel and microwave them until warm.
Alternatives To Microwaving Bacon
While microwaving bacon is undoubtedly a convenient and mess-free option, there are alternatives available if microwave cooking is not an option. Traditional stovetop cooking or baking bacon in the oven are both viable methods for achieving crispy bacon.
Stovetop cooking requires a frying pan or skillet, where you can cook the bacon over medium heat until it reaches your desired level of crispiness. Baking bacon in the oven requires laying the bacon slices on a baking sheet and cooking them at 400°F (200°C) for approximately 15-20 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
Regardless of the method you choose, crispy bacon is only a few steps away, ready to elevate your breakfast or any dish that could use a touch of bacon goodness.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you crisp bacon in the microwave?
Yes, it is possible to achieve crispy bacon in the microwave. Although the texture may be slightly chewier compared to other cooking methods, you can still obtain a crispy result. Begin by microwaving the bacon for approximately 4 minutes, then add an additional minute of cooking time until the desired crispiness is achieved. Keep in mind that the bacon will continue to crisp up as it cools down.
What is the best way to cook bacon in the microwave?
For optimal microwave bacon cooking, prepare a microwave-safe dish by lining it with two layers of paper towels. Position the bacon in a single layer on the dish, and top it with an additional two layers of paper towels. Set your microwave to full power (1200 watts) and cook the bacon for 3 minutes. This technique ensures the bacon cooks evenly and minimizes the mess, providing you with crispy and delicious bacon in a jiffy.
Is it better to microwave or fry bacon?
When it comes to cooking bacon, the microwave method emerges as a superior option. This test resulted in bacon that was inexplicably crispy, surpassing the crispiness achieved by frying in a nonstick pan. Not only is the microwave technique the fastest, but it also requires the least amount of effort for clean-up, making it a convenient choice. If you’re a fan of irresistibly crisp bacon and lack a nonstick skillet, or simply prefer to avoid saving bacon fat, microwaving is undoubtedly an excellent alternative.
Can you cook bacon in the microwave UK?
Yes, you can cook bacon in the microwave in the UK. The key is to adjust the cooking time based on the thickness of the bacon slices. Thinner slices will crisp up faster, so it’s important to keep a close eye on it to prevent under or overcooking. By using the microwave, you can prepare bacon quickly and easily, while still achieving crispy results.