What to Do With the Space Under the Stairs?
The space under the stairs can be utilized in various ways to maximize functionality and create additional storage or living areas in your home.
Whether you need extra storage, a playroom for kids, a cozy reading nook, or a home office, the space under the stairs offers endless possibilities.
You can also create a laundry room with a built-in counter, a pet refuge, a cloakroom or boot room, or even a home bar.
Adding hooks, shelves, and baskets for organization or incorporating bespoke cabinetry will help keep the space tidy and efficient.
Additionally, you can enhance the space with lime wash paint, wallpaper, or a gallery wall of family photos.
The options are limited only by your imagination!
- Utilize the space under the stairs for additional storage or living areas in your home
- Options include a playroom, reading nook, home office, laundry room, pet refuge, cloakroom, or home bar
- Enhance the space with hooks, shelves, baskets, lime wash paint, wallpaper, or a gallery wall
- Incorporate bespoke cabinetry to keep the space tidy and efficient
- The possibilities for the space under the stairs are endless
- Use your imagination to make the most of this space
Did You Know?
1. Did you know that the concept of utilizing the space under the stairs dates back to ancient Egypt? The Egyptians used this area as a unique and secret storage solution, storing valuable and sacred items.
2. In a surprising twist, the famous author J.R.R. Tolkien was inspired by the space under the stairs when he created the character of Harry Potter. The cupboard under the stairs at 4 Privet Drive, where Harry lived with the Dursleys, was directly influenced by this underutilized space.
3. Back in the 17th century, it was believed that keeping a broom under the stairs would bring good fortune and ward off evil spirits. This tradition spread across many cultures and became a common practice in homes around the world.
4. The under-stair area can be transformed into a cozy and discreet reading nook, not only providing you with a serene escape from the outside world but also maximizing the functionality of your home. Snuggling up with a good book in this tucked-away spot could become your favorite pastime.
5. The under-stair space has also become a popular spot for installing hidden doors or secret passageways. Many homeowners have embraced this idea, using it to create a sense of mystery and intrigue within their homes. It adds an element of surprise and novelty to any living space.
The space under the stairs is often overlooked in many homes, but it can actually serve as valuable storage. By installing custom-built cabinets or shelving units, you can transform this area into a functional storage space. Tailor these solutions to your specific needs, whether that be for shoes, coats, or household items.
To maximize the storage potential even further, incorporate hooks, shelves, and baskets within the stairwell. Hooks are great for hanging bags, coats, and other items, while shelves and baskets provide compartments for organizing smaller belongings.
For a more visually appealing look, consider using bespoke cabinetry to create a seamless and integrated storage system. This not only offers ample space for storing items, but it also adds a touch of sophistication to your home’s overall design.
Playroom For Kids
If you have young children, converting the space under the stairs into a playroom can be a fantastic idea. This area can be transformed into a safe and fun area for your kids to play, allowing them to have their designated space while keeping the rest of the house neat and organized.
To create a playful atmosphere, you can add colorful wallpaper, vibrant rugs, and comfortable seating options. Incorporate storage solutions into the space to keep toys and games organized, such as open shelving or toy chests. You can also install a chalkboard or whiteboard on one of the walls, providing a creative outlet for your children to express themselves.
By utilizing the space under the stairs as a playroom, you can encourage imaginative play and provide an area dedicated to their growth and development.
- Transform the space under the stairs into a safe and fun playroom
- Add colorful wallpaper, vibrant rugs, and comfortable seating options
- Incorporate storage solutions like open shelving or toy chests
- Install a chalkboard or whiteboard for creative expression
Cozy Nook With Bench And Bookshelf
If you are a book lover or simply enjoy cozy reading nooks, the space under the stairs can be transformed into a peaceful corner for relaxation. By installing a bench along the wall and a bookshelf above, you can create a cozy nook that invites you to curl up with a good book.
Choose a comfortable and plush seat for the bench, and add pillows and blankets for extra coziness. The bookshelf can be customized to fit your collection, allowing you to showcase your favorite reads and create a curated space for literary inspiration.
To further enhance the ambiance, incorporate soft lighting such as wall sconces or fairy lights. You can also add a small side table for a cup of tea or a reading lamp for added functionality. This little nook under the stairs will become your personal haven for relaxation and escape.
Laundry Room With Built-In Counter
The space under the stairs can be transformed into a practical and functional laundry room. By installing a built-in counter and shelves, you can create a dedicated area for washing, drying, and folding clothes.
The counter can serve as a workspace for sorting and folding laundry, while the shelves above provide storage for laundry detergents, fabric softeners, and other supplies. Baskets or bins can be utilized to organize dirty laundry and separate lights from darks.
In addition, consider incorporating a hanging rod or drying rack for air-drying delicate garments. This will make the most of the available space and ensure efficient use of the area.
- Install a built-in counter and shelves
- Utilize baskets or bins for organization
- Separate lights from darks
- Incorporate a hanging rod or drying rack for delicate garments.
“The space under the stairs can also be transformed into a practical and functional laundry room.”
Stairway As A Room Divider
The space under the stairs can be utilized as a creative room divider. Incorporating shelving units or cabinets visually separates two areas of your home, maintaining an open and airy feel.
- Especially useful in open-concept floor plans, where the staircase is centrally located
- Strategically positioning shelving units or cabinets along one side of the stairs creates a division between the living area and dining area or kitchen
Using the stairway as a room divider showcases decorative items and creates a focal point:
Whether it’s displaying artwork, plants, or other personal mementos, the staircase becomes a unique and eye-catching feature.
Reading Corner With Built-In Bookcase And Comfy Chair
For those who enjoy indulging in a good book, the space under the stairs can be transformed into a cozy reading corner. By installing a built-in bookcase and pairing it with a comfortable chair, you can create a serene retreat for reading and relaxation.
The built-in bookcase provides ample space for your book collection, allowing you to curate a personalized library. You can also include additional shelves for displaying decorative items or incorporating storage baskets for extra organization.
Choose a plush and inviting chair to complete the reading corner. Whether it’s a cozy armchair or a hammock-style swing chair, the seating should be comfortable enough for extended reading sessions.
To enhance the ambiance, consider adding soft lighting, such as a floor lamp or pendant light. This will create a cozy and intimate atmosphere, perfect for getting lost in the pages of your favorite book.
By utilizing the space under the stairs in these creative and practical ways, you can make the most of limited space in your home. Whether it’s for storage solutions, creating a dedicated play area, or designing a cozy nook, the possibilities are endless. Find the idea that suits your needs and style, and transform this often overlooked space into a valuable and functional part of your home.
Check this out:
Frequently Asked Questions
What can I do with wasted space under my stairs?
Transform the wasted space under your stairs into a stylish and functional compact bootroom where you can store shoes, coats, and other outdoor accessories. Install hooks, shelves, and storage bins to keep everything organized and easily accessible. With a bench and a mirror, you’ll have a convenient spot to put on and take off your shoes before heading out.
Alternatively, consider creating a small home office in this unused space. Install a desk, shelves, and a comfortable chair to create a productive and inspiring work environment. Use clever storage solutions to maximize the space and keep your office supplies neatly organized. With a few decor touches, you can turn this previously wasted space into a functional and stylish workspace.
How do you style under stairs space?
One creative way to style the under stairs space is by transforming it into a cozy reading nook. With the addition of a comfortable chair, soft lighting, and a bookshelf, this area can become a perfect retreat for indulging in a good book. Another idea is to set up a colorful play space for children. By adding bright rugs, colorful cushions, and storage bins for toys, this under stairs area can be transformed into a fun and imaginative play area that children will love.
Additionally, another option is to install a wine room underneath the stairs. With proper insulation and storage racks, this space can be utilized to store wine bottles, creating a stylish and functional addition to your home. Alternatively, you can also use the under stairs space to incorporate a home office. By installing a desk, shelving, and proper lighting, this area can become a dedicated workspace, providing a quiet and efficient environment for work or study. Overall, the under stairs space offers endless possibilities for creative and practical styling options.
What is the space under stairs called?
The space under a set of stairs is commonly referred to as the “under-staircase area” or the “stairwell void.” This designated area can serve a variety of purposes, such as storage, a cozy reading nook, or even a small home office. Some creative homeowners have transformed this space into a built-in shelf or display area, adding both functionality and aesthetic appeal to the overall design of the staircase.
What can we make under stairs according to Vastu?
According to Vastu principles, the under stairs space can be utilized for various purposes that align with positive energy. One option could be to create a small storage area to keep commonly used household items neatly organized. Alternatively, this space can also be transformed into a cozy reading nook or a serene meditation corner, allowing for relaxation and peacefulness in the home.