How to Install an Electric Fireplace Insert?
To install an electric fireplace insert, start by measuring the fireplace opening, depth, and height to ensure you choose the correct unit.
Remove the existing grate and clean out any ashes.
Place the insert in the firebox and secure it with attachment clips.
Silicone the unit to the floor of the fireplace for a secure fit.
Access the panel on the side of the builder’s box to add a plug or pigtail for power.
Plug the unit into a standard household outlet.
Consider hiring a certified electrician to add a permanent outlet inside the firebox for a permanent installation.
The unit can be operated with a remote control and usually has a power button on the side or top.
Ensure there is plenty of ventilation around the heating area.
Customize the electric fireplace by adding decorative elements or incorporating it into an entertainment center.
- Measure fireplace opening, depth, and height to choose correct unit
- Remove existing grate and clean out ashes
- Secure insert in firebox with attachment clips
- Silicone unit to floor of fireplace for secure fit
- Access panel on side of builder’s box to add plug or pigtail for power
- Plug unit into standard household outlet or consider adding permanent outlet
- Operate unit with remote control or power button
- Ensure proper ventilation around heating area
- Customize fireplace with decorative elements or incorporate into entertainment center
Did You Know?
1. Did you know that the first electric fireplace insert was invented in the 1980s by a company called Dimplex?
2. The majority of electric fireplace inserts use quartz infrared heating technology, which not only heats the room quickly but also maintains the natural humidity levels.
3. Electric fireplace inserts are a popular choice for homeowners because they don’t produce any smoke or harmful emissions. They are an environmentally friendly heating option.
4. Some electric fireplace inserts include built-in Bluetooth speakers, allowing you to enjoy both the ambiance of a fireplace and your favorite music or podcasts at the same time.
5. While many people assume that electric fireplace inserts are only meant for indoor use, there are actually waterproof and weather-resistant models available, making them suitable for outdoor spaces like patios and decks.
Introduction: Understanding Electric Fireplace Inserts
Electric fireplace inserts are a convenient and efficient option for adding warmth and ambiance to your home. These inserts are specifically designed to be installed into existing masonry fireplaces, replacing wood grates, gas grates, burners, or log sets. By installing an electric fireplace insert, you can eliminate the need for messy and time-consuming maintenance while also reducing the risk of fire hazards often associated with traditional fireplaces.
Key benefits of electric fireplace inserts include:
- Convenience: Electric fireplace inserts are easy to install and operate.
- Low maintenance: Unlike traditional fireplaces, electric inserts require minimal maintenance. There’s no need to clean up ashes or worry about chimney inspections.
- Safety: Electric inserts eliminate the risk of fire hazards associated with open flames, making them a safer option for homes with children or pets.
- Energy efficiency: Electric fireplace inserts provide heat without the need for gas or wood, making them an eco-friendly and cost-effective choice.
It’s important to note that electric fireplace inserts do not produce real flames, but they often come with realistic-looking flames that create a cozy and inviting atmosphere. Additionally, these inserts typically come with adjustable heat settings and flame brightness controls, allowing you to customize the ambiance according to your preference.
In summary, electric fireplace inserts offer the convenience, low maintenance, safety, and energy efficiency that traditional fireplaces may lack. With their easy installation process and adjustable features, they provide a hassle-free way to enjoy warmth and ambiance in your home.
- Electric fireplace inserts are easy to install and operate
- They require minimal maintenance, with no cleanup or chimney inspections needed
- Electric inserts eliminate the risk of fire hazards associated with open flames
- They provide eco-friendly and cost-effective heat without the need for gas or wood.
Installation Process: Cleaning And Sliding In The Insert
Installing an electric fireplace insert is a straightforward process that can be accomplished by most homeowners. The first step is to clean out the existing fireplace box, removing any ashes or debris. This ensures a clean and safe environment for the new insert.
Once the fireplace box is clean, the electric fireplace insert can be slid into place. Most inserts come pre-wired for easy installation. However, some models may require a plug-kit, which can be purchased separately. The insert should be positioned in the center of the fireplace box for optimal performance.
Finally, the electric fireplace insert is plugged into a standard outlet. It is important to ensure that the outlet can handle the power requirements of the insert. If necessary, an electrician can be hired to add a permanent outlet inside the firebox for a more permanent installation.
Pre-Wiring And Plug-Kit Requirements
Most electric fireplace inserts come pre-wired for easy installation. This means that the wiring is already in place, and all that is required is to plug the unit into a standard outlet. However, some models may require a plug-kit, which includes the necessary wiring and connectors to connect the insert to an outlet. It is important to check the manufacturer’s instructions to determine if a plug-kit is needed for the chosen model.
- Most electric fireplace inserts come pre-wired for easy installation.
- Plug-kit may be required for some models.
- Check the manufacturer’s instructions.
No Need For Gas Fittings Or Masonry Work
One of the advantages of electric fireplace inserts is that there is no need for gas fittings, masonry work, or holes in exterior walls.
Unlike traditional fireplaces that require the installation of gas lines or chimneys, electric inserts simply require a standard outlet for power.
This makes electric fireplace inserts a versatile option for homeowners who do not have a gas line or prefer not to make structural changes to their homes.
- No need for gas fittings, masonry work, or holes in exterior walls
- Electric inserts only require a standard outlet for power
- Versatile option for homeowners without a gas line or who prefer not to make structural changes to their homes.
Variation In Installation Process For Different Insert Types
The installation process for electric fireplace inserts may vary depending on the type of insert chosen. There are two main types of electric fireplace inserts: log inserts and built-in inserts.
Log inserts are designed to be placed directly into the existing firebox. Once positioned, they can be plugged into a standard outlet, and the installation is complete.
On the other hand, built-in inserts are designed to fit snugly in the firebox and may require shims for leveling or stability. Some built-in inserts may also require the installation of a front trim, which can be ordered separately.
It is important to carefully read the manufacturer’s instructions for the chosen insert to ensure a proper and secure installation.
- Remember to follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer for the specific electric fireplace insert you have chosen.
- Log inserts can be simply plugged into a standard outlet, while built-in inserts may require shims and a separate front trim for a secure fit.
Considerations For Choosing And Customizing An Electric Fireplace Insert
When choosing an electric fireplace insert, there are several factors to consider. First and foremost, it is important to select a fireplace made with quality materials and from a reputable manufacturer. Top brands in the industry, such as Napoleon, Dimplex, and MagikFlame, are known for their durability and realistic flame effects.
Additionally, the size of the insert should be carefully considered. It is essential to measure the fireplace opening, depth, and height to ensure that the chosen unit will fit correctly. Consider purchasing a fireplace trim kit if you want the insert to fit better and create a more seamless look.
Furthermore, electric fireplaces offer a great opportunity for customization. Decorative elements such as mantels and media consoles can be added to enhance the overall aesthetic. Placing the fireplace on a wall across from the room’s entrance can create a dramatic focal point, while strategically considering the location of electrical outlets can ensure a smooth installation process.
Electric fireplace inserts provide a convenient, efficient, and customizable option for adding warmth and ambiance to any home.
- Select a fireplace made with quality materials and from a reputable manufacturer
- Measure the fireplace opening, depth, and height to ensure correct fit
- Consider purchasing a fireplace trim kit for a seamless look
- Customization options include adding mantels and media consoles
- Place the fireplace on a wall across from the room’s entrance for a dramatic focal point
- Strategically consider the location of electrical outlets for a smooth installation process
Check this out:
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I install an electric fireplace insert myself?
Installing an electric fireplace insert can be a DIY project if you have basic carpentry skills and are comfortable working at the top of your chimney. However, it is important to note that you will need to hire an electrician to install a power outlet inside the old fireplace, as safety precautions must be taken when dealing with electrical connections. Once the power outlet is installed, you can proceed with the installation of the electric fireplace insert yourself.
Are electric fireplace inserts hard to install?
Fortunately, installing an electric fireplace insert is a relatively simple task. Unlike traditional fireplaces, they don’t need exterior venting or gas lines, which can complicate the installation process. The absence of these requirements makes electric fireplace inserts much more user-friendly and accessible for homeowners. With a hassle-free installation, you can enjoy the warmth and ambiance of a fireplace without the need for extensive modifications to your home.
Can you put an electric fireplace insert in an existing fireplace?
Yes, an electric fireplace insert can be easily installed into an existing fireplace. By removing the outdated wood grates, gas grates, burners, or log sets, the electric fireplace insert can be seamlessly fitted into the fireplace box. The installation process is straightforward; all you need to do is clean the fireplace box, slide the insert in, and plug it into a standard outlet. This provides a convenient and hassle-free way to transform your existing fireplace into a more modern and efficient heating solution.
What is the difference between an electric fireplace and an insert?
The difference between an electric fireplace and an insert lies in their installation method and power source. An electric fireplace is a standalone unit that can be easily moved and simply plugged into an electrical outlet. It does not require any installation or modifications to the wall. On the other hand, an insert is designed to be inserted into a pre-existing fireplace opening. It can come in the form of a built-in unit that needs a hole in the wall to fit its dimensions or a plug-in unit that can be inserted directly into the opening. Inserts often need to be hard-wired into the electricity, providing a more permanent heating solution.