Montgomery, alabama is not a good place to live due to its high crime rate and poor public school system. Montgomery is the capital city of alabama and is known for its rich history, beautiful riverfront, and southern charm.
However, when it comes to living in montgomery, there are some drawbacks to consider. The city has a high crime rate, particularly in certain areas, and the public school system has been rated as below average. Despite these challenges, montgomery does have some positive qualities such as a strong economy with job opportunities in industries such as healthcare and manufacturing.
Additionally, the city has a vibrant arts and culture scene with numerous museums, galleries, and theaters. Overall, while montgomery does have its appeal, it may not be the best choice for everyone.
Low Cost Of Living
Living in montgomery, alabama can be an affordable option compared to many other cities in the united states. Below are the key reasons why the cost of living in montgomery, alabama is low.
Affordable Housing Options
Montgomery, alabama has various housing options that are affordable for its residents. You can find apartments, townhouses, and single-family homes in different neighborhoods of the city at a reasonable cost. Here are some average costs of the housing options in montgomery, alabama:
- Rent for a one-bedroom apartment can range from $545 to $728 per month.
- The average cost of a two-bedroom apartment is around $698 per month.
- The median price for a single-family home is approximately $121,000.
Low Property Taxes
Property taxes in montgomery, alabama are relatively low compared to other cities in the united states. It is one of the factors that contribute to a low cost of living in the city. Homeowners in montgomery, alabama, pay approximately $700 on average annually for property taxes on a home valued at $150,000.
Reasonable Cost Of Groceries And Dining Out
The cost of groceries and dining out in montgomery, alabama, is another reason why the city is an affordable place to live. The prices are relatively reasonable, leaving enough room in your budget to enjoy meals out. Below are the average prices of groceries and dining out in montgomery, alabama:
- Milk (regular, 1l): $0.92
- Loaf of bread (fresh white bread, 500g): $1.84
- One pound of boneless chicken breast: $3.74
- Meal for two people at a mid-range restaurant: $40
Montgomery, alabama can be an excellent place to live if you are looking for an affordable city to call home. With its low property taxes, affordable housing options, and reasonable prices for groceries and dining out, you can enjoy a comfortable life without breaking the bank.
Montgomery, the prominent city of alabama, is a perfect blend of political and cultural history. It is home to several law firms, national and international corporations, and growing industries that offer diverse job opportunities to its residents. Let’s take a closer look at the job market in montgomery and explore the major employers in the area, growing industries, and access to education and career training.
Major Employers In The Area
Montgomery is home to several major employers that offer employment opportunities across various industries to its residents. Some of the top employers in the city include:
- Maxwell-gunter air force base
- Alabama state government
- Hyundai motor manufacturing alabama
- Baptist health
- Montgomery public schools
- Montgomery county government
- Rheem manufacturing
- Jackson hospital
Montgomery’s job market is consistently growing with its evolving industries. Various sectors have become attractive business options for the city, including:
- Data centers and cybersecurity: The city has been developing as a hub for data centers, and it is attracting businesses interested in data storage and cybersecurity.
- Health care: Montgomery proffers some of the state’s best medical facilities, including the usa mitchell cancer institute, montgomery cancer center, and jackson hospital.
- Manufacturing: The city benefits from rapidly expanding automotive manufacturing companies, including hyundai, which employs more than 3,000 residents.
- Government: As the state capital, montgomery is home to several government agencies and public offices.
Access To Education And Career Training
Montgomery has access to several community colleges, universities, and vocational schools. These schools offer a range of certificate and degree programs that prepare students for entry-level jobs, career advancement opportunities, or pursue further higher education. Some of the noteworthy education providers include:
- Alabama state university: Alabama state is a historically black college and university (hbcu) that offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in diverse fields such as accounting, business, music, and visual arts.
- Auburn university at montgomery: Auburn university offers more than 90 degree programs, including popular majors like business, nursing, and psychology.
- Trenholm state community college: Trenholm state offers certificate and degree programs in technical fields and trades such as automotive design and nursing.
- Maxwell air force base: The base offers the air university, which is the united states air force’s center for professional military education offering a range of learning tracks for officers and enlisted soldiers.
Montgomery’s job market is diverse, with prominent employers, growing industries, and access to education and vocational training. Thanks to the city’s many educational resources, residents can gain the skills and knowledge necessary to achieve their career goals.
Strong Sense Of Community
Montgomery, alabama is more than just a place to live. It’s a city with a strong sense of community that makes it stand out from other cities. People here are friendly, welcoming and helpful. They create a sense of belonging that you won’t find anywhere else.
In this blog, we will explore some of the factors that make montgomery, alabama a great place to live and how the city’s active local government, diverse neighborhoods and engaged community organizations contribute to that strong sense of community.
Active Local Government
Montgomery, alabama has a proactive and responsive local government. Their eminent focus on quality of life ensures that the city is not just a great place to visit but also an even better place to live. Some of the key points that make montgomery’s local government great are:
- The government prioritizes the expansion of physical infrastructure in the city.
- They have initiatives and plans in place to create more jobs for the residents.
- The city provides excellent public services, including quality education and healthcare facilities, and there are plans in the works to improve them even further.
- The local government maintains transparency with the residents and involves them in decision-making processes on various matters affecting the city.
Montgomery has diverse neighborhoods that appeal to people from all walks of life. Montgomery’s residential areas have top-notch amenities, affordable rates, and convenient access to city services. These neighborhoods are welcoming and closely knit.
- Eastdale: Eastdale is a family-friendly neighborhood known for its tree-lined streets and diverse community. It is one of the most affordable neighborhoods in montgomery.
- Cloverdale: Cloverdale is one of the earliest and charming neighborhoods in montgomery. The houses are of different styles, from spanish colonial to tudor revival, making it an ideal place for those who enjoy architectural history.
- Old alabama town: Old alabama town is a living history museum demonstrating life in alabama before the civil war. This neighborhood is perfect for those who love to explore history and want to indulge in the past.
Engaged Community Organizations
Montgomery community organizations have a significant impact on the city’s well-being. These groups work diligently to foster a sense of community among the residents and visitors alike. They organize numerous activities and events throughout the year and help to enrich the lives of the people.
- Montgomery area chamber of commerce: The camcc aims to improve the quality of life and advocate for local businesses and residents in the montgomery area. It facilitates local networking events, strengthens the economy and boosts local businesses.
- Montgomery clean city commission: This group is committed to promoting environmental conservation and sustainability. They organize numerous community projects throughout the year for locals to participate in, thus making montgomery one of the clearest cities in america.
The strong sense of community in montgomery is evident from the city’s active local government, diverse neighborhoods, and engaged community organizations. These factors foster a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere that is genuinely unique. Montgomery, alabama is indeed a great city to live in!
Rich History And Culture
Montgomery, alabama, is a city steeped in cultural significance and history. From historical landmarks and museums to a significant role in the civil rights movement, this city has something for everyone. Here are some of the key cultural and historical highlights:
Historical Landmarks And Museums
Montgomery is home to several renowned historical landmarks and museums that depict the city’s rich past. These include:
- The alabama state capitol: A national historic landmark that played a vital role in the civil rights movement and is the second oldest state capitol in the us.
- The rosa parks museum: Dedicated to the iconic civil rights activist who was arrested in montgomery, the museum chronicles the historical events leading to the montgomery bus boycott.
- The hank williams museum: Celebrating the life and musical legacy of one of the most influential singers in country music.
Arts And Cultural Events
Montgomery is a vibrant hub for arts and cultural events, drawing visitors from across the country. Here are some events that locals look forward to every year:
- Alabama shakespeare festival: The sixth-largest shakespeare festival in the world, featuring plays, workshops, and educational opportunities.
- The national jubilee: A four-day event celebrating the rich african american history and culture of montgomery.
- Montgomery art guild museum exhibition: Showcasing the works of local artists, this annual event promotes art and culture in the community.
Significant Role In Civil Rights Movement
Montgomery played a critical role in the civil rights movement and was the birthplace of some of the most significant events in the movement’s history.
- Montgomery bus boycott: Sparked by rosa parks’ arrest for refusing to give up her seat, the boycott lasted for over a year and led to the desegregation of montgomery’s public transportation system.
- The equal justice initiative’s legacy museum and national memorial for peace and justice: Honoring the memory of victims of lynching, this museum and memorial highlight the ongoing struggle for racial justice in america.
- The dexter avenue king memorial baptist church: Where dr. martin luther king jr. Served as pastor during the civil rights movement and gave some of his most famous speeches.
Montgomery’s rich history and culture, as well as its role in the civil rights movement, make it a compelling place to visit and an excellent place to call home.
Outdoor Recreation: Parks And Nature Trails
Montgomery, alabama, is rich in natural beauty, from the hilly terrains to the flowing creeks. Parks and nature trails act as a wonderful escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. Here are some of the key features of montgomery’s natural resources:
- The blount cultural park and wynton m. blount cultural park is the perfect spot for picnicking, strolling, and exploring the art museum, which houses some of the finest works of artists from around the world.
- The capital city’s jewel is montgomery zoo; it’s home to more than 500 animals from five continents in their native environments.
- The nature trail at emerald mountain winds through a 400-acre conservation easement that’s owned by the city of wetumpka. Pass through a series of seven stone cairns while enjoying the fresh air, tranquil views, and local flora and fauna.
Sports And Fitness Activities
Montgomery’s natural setting is ideal for sports and fitness enthusiasts alike, home to a range of fitness clubs, gyms, and sports facilities. The great outdoors provides an excellent backdrop for the following activities:
- Take advantage of montgomery’s sunny days and mild winters to enjoy golf courses that range from beginner to championship level.
- Biking and hiking are some of the best ways to explore montgomery’s natural beauty, and there are numerous rugged and scenic trails available to visitors.
- In addition to traditional workouts, yoga, pilates, and dance classes are also offered in parks and recreation centers, allowing you to connect with nature while exercising.
Access To Waterways For Fishing And Boating
Montgomery, alabama’s central location along the alabama river provides access to a wealth of water-based recreational options, including fishing and boating. There are also several smaller bodies of water within city limits, such as popular local favorite the rez, that provide opportunities for fishing and paddling.
Here’s more information about what you can enjoy:
- Lake jordan, located on the coosa river near wetumpka, is perfect for those who enjoy boating, fishing, swimming, and other water activities.
- The alabama river is an angler’s paradise, home to great catches like catfish, bass, and crappie. Boat rentals are readily available, and there are several boat launches available for visitors to ensure you can make a splash!
- Let’s not forget about the coosa river, which is a great spot for fishing, kayaking, or just enjoying a sunset.
Montgomery, alabama, is a fantastic spot for outdoor enthusiasts who appreciate the natural beauty, wide-open spaces and need for adventure. Come enjoy outdoor recreation at its finest in the heart of dixie!
Excellent Healthcare Options
Montgomery, alabama is becoming increasingly popular among people looking for a perfect place to live. With its rich history, intriguing culture, and charming neighborhoods, people are attracted to the city for many reasons. But, one of the most important factors to consider while moving to a new place is the healthcare facilities it offers.
In montgomery, you won’t be disappointed as the city has excellent healthcare options that cater to everyone’s medical requirements. Let’s explore them now:
Large Healthcare Systems
Montgomery is home to two large healthcare systems, baptist health and jackson hospital, both of which are excellent medical providers. They offer a complete range of medical facilities, from primary care to highly specialized treatments. These healthcare systems have state-of-the-art facilities and expert medical professionals to cater to your healthcare needs.
Plus, with multiple locations throughout the city, medical care is easily accessible to all montgomery residents.
Quality Medical Care
When it comes to healthcare, quality is essential, and montgomery’s medical professionals definitely deliver! Whether you need an annual check-up or complex surgeries, montgomery’s healthcare providers have you covered. These medical professionals prioritize the patient’s best interests to provide the highest level of care possible.
You can rest assured that you’ll be in safe hands with montgomery’s medical providers.
Specialized Treatments Available
Another advantage of montgomery’s healthcare facilities is the availability of specialized treatments. Medical professionals in montgomery work closely with some of the top healthcare providers in the country, allowing access to the latest and most advanced treatments. Patients in montgomery can receive specialized treatments such as cancer care, cardiac care, neurological services, and organ transplants, among others.
So, whatever your medical requirements may be, the healthcare professionals in montgomery have the expertise to provide outstanding care.
Montgomery, alabama, is indeed a fabulous place to live, especially in terms of healthcare options. With two large healthcare systems, quality medical care, and specialized treatments available, montgomery’s healthcare facilities offer everything you need for optimal health and wellness.
Outstanding Education In Montgomery, Alabama
Montgomery, alabama, offers an excellent education system that is well-rounded and diverse, from public schools to colleges, and universities. The city has set an example with its highest quality education and 21st-century facilities. The influential education system of montgomery is something to look forward to for all the parents who are looking to relocate to this city.
High-Quality Public Schools
Montgomery has a wide range of public schools that offer high-quality education to their students. The dedicated teachers and staff are committed to providing students a healthy and safe learning environment that creates a positive impact on their overall development.
The classroom experiences are engaging and focus on the individual student’s needs. The programs integrate various technological advancements, research, and hands-on experience to prepare students for real-world scenarios.
The most notable public schools in montgomery are:
- Loveless academic magnet program high school (lamp): This public school is designed for academically gifted students. Lamp has consistently maintained the highest percentage of national merit semifinalists in the state.
- Booker t. washington magnet high school: This public school is renowned for offering a rigorous education in arts for students with artistic talent and skill.
- Brewbaker technology magnet high school: This public school provides a rigorous education in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (stem) for students.
Top-Ranked Colleges And Universities
Montgomery is home to some of the world’s best higher education institutions. Students in montgomery have access to top-ranked colleges and universities that provide an exceptional education system. These institutes offer undergraduate and graduate programs, including doctorates.
The most notable colleges and universities in montgomery are:
- Alabama state university (asu): Asu is the largest hbcu (historically black colleges and universities) in montgomery and offers a diverse range of undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs.
- Auburn university at montgomery (aum): Aum is a public university that offers comprehensive academic programs, including undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral courses.
- Huntingdon college: Huntingdon college is a prestigious private liberal arts college that offers a unique educational experience to its students.
Varied Extracurricular Programs
Montgomery’s education system focuses not only on academic excellence but also personal development. The schools have a wide range of extracurricular programs that develop the students’ leadership, communication, and social skills.
The most notable extracurricular programs in montgomery are:
- Montgomery youth facilitators program: This program provides young adults a platform to sharpen their leadership and communication skills.
- Montgomery academy’s summer camps: Montgomery academy host a variety of summer camps to develop the students’ diverse interests, from creative writing to engineering.
- Scholars bowl and quiz bowl programs: These academic competitions boost the students’ knowledge and sharpen their cognitive ability.
Montgomery, alabama, offers an outstanding education system that prioritizes academic excellence and supports all-round personal development. The diverse range of programs and state-of-the-art facilities make it one of the best places for quality education in the country.
Vibrant Downtown Area
Montgomery, alabama is a city that has plenty to offer its residents, but perhaps its most notable feature is its vibrant downtown area. Here’s what you need to know about the entertainment, shopping, dining, cultural events, and festivals available in montgomery’s downtown district.
Entertainment And Nightlife Options
- Montgomery’s downtown area offers a plethora of entertainment options, from live music and theater performances to movie theaters and even an ice skating rink.
- For those who enjoy a night out on the town, montgomery has several bars and nightclubs that offer a range of experiences. From dive bars with live music to upscale cocktail lounges with city views, there’s something for everyone.
- Those who are seeking a more family-friendly entertainment experience can visit the montgomery zoo or catch a minor league baseball game at riverwalk stadium.
Shopping And Dining Destinations
- Downtown montgomery is a haven for foodies, with a wide variety of dining options available. Whether you’re looking for southern comfort food, international cuisine, or fine dining, you’ll find it in montgomery’s downtown district.
- Montgomery is also home to several shopping destinations, including the riverfront market and the alley station antique mall. These venues offer a blend of antique shops, artisan boutiques, and larger retailers that cater to a wide range of tastes.
Cultural Events And Festivals
- Montgomery’s downtown area is a hub for arts and culture, and the city hosts several annual events and festivals that celebrate this rich heritage. One of the most popular is the alabama shakespeare festival, which brings world-class theater performances to montgomery each year.
- Other notable events include the montgomery arts festival, the greek food festival, and the alabama state fair. These events showcase the best of montgomery’s art, music, food, and culture, making them a must-see for both residents and visitors alike.
Montgomery’s vibrant downtown area is a true gem in the heart of alabama, offering something for everyone. Whether you’re looking for entertainment, shopping, dining, or cultural experiences, you won’t be disappointed by what montgomery has to offer.
Pleasant Weather: Why Montgomery Alabama Has A Mild Winter, Warm Summers, And Plenty Of Sunshine
Imagine having an entire year of perfect weather with mild winters, warm summers, and plenty of sunshine. This is precisely what montgomery, alabama, promises its residents. So, if you’re looking for a place with consistent weather patterns and just the right outdoor temperature to enjoy all year round, then you might want to consider living in this charming southern city.
Montgomery, alabama, has mild winters with an average temperature of 50°f (10°c). You won’t experience the bone-chilling winters of northern cities. In fact, you can expect snowfalls in montgomery, but they are rare. The mild winter weather allows residents to move around town with ease, especially during the holiday season.
Here are some highlights of montgomery’s mild winters:
- Enjoy the christmas lights festival at the montgomery zoo; it’s a sight to behold.
- Head downtown to dexter avenue king memorial baptist church and take a guided tour through the historical civil rights landmarks.
- Go to the alabama shakespeare festival, where they put on a range of plays and musicals, and enjoy the excellent acoustics in the auditorium.
Montgomery has hot summers, with an average temperature of 87°f (30°c). Although it can get hot, it’s rare for the humidity to make the weather unbearable. The sunny weather opens up a plethora of outdoor activities, making it easy for anyone to find something they love.
Here are a few of the things to look forward to with montgomery’s warm summers:
- Head over to blount cultural park for the hot-air balloon festival and other year-round events.
- Visit the montgomery biscuits baseball team at the riverwalk stadium and enjoy cold beers, hot dogs, and the perfect summer evening out.
- Drive down to lake martin and rent a boat, jet ski, or kayak and spend a day out on the water.
Plenty Of Sunshine Throughout The Year
Montgomery gets plenty of sunshine throughout the year. In fact, the city boasts an average of 218 sunny days each year. That makes this charming southern city the perfect place for an outdoor lifestyle. The abundance of sunshine puts a smile on everyone’s faces and makes it challenging to stay stuck indoors.
Here are some things you can do with montgomery’s consistent sunny weather:
- Bike the famous tunnels springs park trail that runs next to the alabama river and goes underneath the historic edmund pettus bridge.
- Read a book or enjoy a picnic lunch in one of the city’s many parks, such as the blount cultural park or the wynton blount cultural park.
- Take a walk around the wetumpka crater, where you can experience the geological form that has been around for over a million years.
Montgomery is a place where the climate encourages outdoor activities. The mild winters, warm summers, and abundance of sunshine make this southern city a great place to live in all year round. So, if you’re looking for a place with perfect weather patterns, then montgomery, alabama, might just be the perfect option for you.
Montgomery, alabama is a city located in the southern part of the united states. It boasts a perfect location that makes it an ideal place to live in. This section explores the primary reasons why montgomery is perfect.
Access To Major Highways
Montgomery has excellent connectivity with major highways, including i-65 and i-85, which makes it extremely easy to travel to other cities. This accessibility solidifies montgomery’s position as a strategic location for businesses that require transportation of goods and services.
- I-65 is the major north-south interstate highway that connects montgomery with many of the major cities in the us, including chicago, nashville, and birmingham.
- I-85 that runs through the city connects montgomery with other major cities such as atlanta, charlotte, and greensboro.
Central Us Location
Montgomery’s central location in the us makes it easy to reach any destination. According to google maps, montgomery is within a 14-hour drive of some of the largest cities in the us, such as washington d. c. , dallas, and new orleans.
- Montgomery is an ideal location for businesses that require a well-connected and convenient hub to access major markets such as nashville, memphis, and new orleans.
Close Proximity To Atlanta, Birmingham, And The Gulf Coast Beaches
Montgomery’s favorable location provides quick access to several bustling cities in the region. Atlanta, birmingham, and the gulf coast beaches are within a few hours’ drive.
- Atlanta is only 160 miles from montgomery, which means you can enjoy all the attractions of the city easily.
- Birmingham, the largest city in alabama, is a mere 90 minutes away.
- Montgomery is only a few hours’ drive away from the beautiful gulf coast beaches.
The easy accessibility to these cities adds to montgomery’s appeal as a great place to live and work.
Montgomery’s strategic location is one of its biggest advantages, making it a great place to live. The accessibility through major highways, being in a central location, and having quick access to other major cities like atlanta, birmingham, and the gulf coast beaches make it an ideal place to live, work, and explore.
Frequently Asked Questions For Is Montgomery Alabama A Good Place To Live
Is Montgomery Alabama A Safe Place To Live?
Montgomery has a higher than average crime rate, but it’s concentrated in certain areas. Overall, the majority of the city’s neighborhoods are safe. Like any large city, you’ll want to be mindful of your surroundings and take common-sense measures to protect yourself and your property.
What Is The Cost Of Living In Montgomery Alabama?
The cost of living in montgomery is lower than the national average. Housing costs, in particular, are notably affordable. However, like any city, there are more expensive areas. Montgomery’s overall lower cost of living makes it an attractive option for those looking to move to the area.
What Are The Best Neighborhoods To Live In Montgomery Alabama?
There are several desirable neighborhoods in montgomery, such as cloverdale, hampstead, and the garden district, to name a few. These communities offer everything from historic charm to modern amenities, making them popular choices for families and young professionals.
What Are The Top Attractions In Montgomery Alabama?
Montgomery is rich in history and culture, with several must-see attractions. These include the civil rights memorial center, rosa parks museum, montgomery museum of fine arts, and the alabama shakespeare festival. Plus, there are several outdoor activities and parks to enjoy.
What Is The Job Market Like In Montgomery Alabama?
Opportunities in the job market are growing, with several new employers moving to the area, including tech companies. The city’s largest employers include the state and federal government, healthcare providers, maxwell-gunter air force base, and hyundai’s manufacturing plant.
Ultimately, montgomery, alabama has a lot to offer for those seeking a place to call home. The city boasts a rich history, distinctive culture, and a strong economy. Its natural beauty, abundant outdoor recreation, and warm climate are also appealing.
While there are certainly downsides to life in montgomery, such as crime and occasional racial tension, these issues are not unique to the city and can be found in many urban areas. Overall, if you’re looking for a place with southern charm, a low cost of living, and plenty of amenities, montgomery is definitely worth considering.
Keep in mind that every city has pros and cons, so it’s important to do your research and assess your priorities before making any big moves. With the right expectations and a willingness to embrace all that montgomery has to offer, it could be a great place to call home.